Static Caravan Fire Safety 2016

Important Fire Safety Advice

As the new season approaches, ETK would just like to remind you of just how important fire safety is within a static caravan.... 

So you will, (hopefully), appreciate HOW EASILY Static Caravans can "go up" if they catch fire... it can literally take just seconds for the entire Holiday Home to be burnt to the ground.

13 outside panels were replaced in late December 2013 - but this shows very nicely EXACTLY "what a caravan is made of" (not sugar and spice either)  

Once the thin, outside metal sheeting is removed, the framework is entirely wooden; with polystyrene blocks fitted into the cavities as insulation. That's it! On the other side of the framework and insulation blocks, are the chipboard interior walls.


  • CHECK the smoke alarms on a weekly basis!  If you are a guest, ensure you have a working smoke alarm on arrival. (Owners - never hurts to keep a spare in the property and suitable batteries!)
  • NEVER use the oven or the hob as a source of heat. This sounds obvious, but many, many Holiday-Makers have been known to recommend leaving these on as "additional heating"
  • NEVER leave any gas appliances on unattended
  • NEVER cover electric heaters, or try to dry clothes on them
  • NEVER leave clothes drying in front of the gas fire, as best they will be scorched - at worst you'll have a fire to deal with
  • NEVER have a naked flame burning inside (candles!)  (Owners - leave torches in situ in case of a power-cut)
  • NEVER use a disposable BBQ inside! (That may sound ridiculous, but it has been known... also a major risk of carbon monoxide poisoning there) 
  • If smoking is permitted inside the Holiday Home (rare!) - please be careful! NEVER throw cigarette ends onto outside decking (see photo below!) - always dispose of properly and ensure they are not still alight
  • If you are permitted to have an outside BBQ - use common sense! Find the flattest area possible and as far away from any gas tanks as you can! NEVER leave unattended; you may not have children with you, but other people have:- and the children have a tendency to play all around the Holiday Park and particularly in-between the Holiday Homes.
  • If you are a guest - NEVER touch the gas tanks, if you have a problem with your supply - contact your Owner
  • Current gas and electrical safety certificates should be in place for the property. These may not be displayed in the Holiday Home (although it's always a good idea to do so) - but should be available to view on request from the site office.  The gas check must be carried out annually and the electrics every 3 years. The rental should not be taking place without either of these in place


The above fire occurred in 2014

It's thought to have been started by a passer-by throwing a lit cigarette end onto the decking, which in turn set light to the patio furniture .... and you can plainly see how that ended up. Thankfully there was a working smoke alarm in the property and the occupants survived - their dog however was not so lucky due to smoke inhalation.


 Another unfortunate victim of 2014


Please stay safe for your 2016 holidays